- 8 oz king oyster/trumpet royale mushrooms (you can use smaller mushrooms like cremini/button but they’ll result in tiny pieces)
- 1–2 tbsp avocado or olive oil
- black pepper
- sea salt
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 2 tsp soy sauce or tamari
- 1/2 tsp liquid smoke
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 3 tbsp vegan mayo
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 small handful of parsley, finely chopped
- pinch of salt
- bread of choice
- sliced tomatoes
- green leaf lettuce
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Slice mushrooms lengthwise into thin 1/8-inch slices (the thinner the slices the smokier/crispier they’ll be).
- Prepare two baking pans with parchment paper and brush the sheets liberally with oil. Lay out the mushroom slices evenly on the sheet and sprinkle with salt and pepper, then flip and repeat on other side.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, then turn the slices and bake for another 20 minutes or until browned and crispy. Drain on a paper towel.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the rest of the ingredients and toss the mushroom slices in this sauce until coated.
- Return to the baking sheet and bake for another 5 minutes, until slightly caramelized. Let cool to room-temperature before storing.
- For the herb mayo, stir all ingredients together in a small bowl. Set aside.
- To assemble sandwich: Toast slices of bread, then spread herb mayo on each of the slices. Add lettuce first, then a double layer of tomato slices, a layer of mustard.