A perfect fall recipe, this vegan broccoli cheddar soup is absolutely comforting, packed with veggies, and bursting with flavor. Get your immersion blender ready, and make it in under an hour!
- 2 tbs vegan butter
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups broccoli, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 cup vegan cheddar, shredded, plus extra for topping if desired!
- 3/4 cup vegan cream cheese (a neutral tasting one)
- 1 tbs mellow white miso
- 2 tbs nutritional yeast
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups veggie stock
- ½ tsp dry mustard powder (optional)
- 1 tbs lemon juice
Extra equipment needed:
- Immersion blender
- Heat a pot with 1 inch water, covered, over high heat until boiling. Add carrots to a steamer basket and place inside the pot. Steam for 3 minutes. Add broccoli and steam for another 7-8 minutes until the broccoli and carrots are tender. Set 1 cup of the broccoli aside.
- Heat a large pot over medium heat, once heated add butter, onion, and a pinch of salt. Saute until translucent, about 5 minutes. Make some space in the center of the pot and add garlic, cooking for 30 seconds until fragrant. Add flour, and cook for another 2 minutes stirring constantly. Add carrots, 3 cups of broccoli, paprika, dry mustard powder, 2 ½ cups of broth, cream cheese, miso, nutritional yeast, and cheddar shreds.
- Using an immersion blender or you can carefully pour it into your blender, blend until mostly smooth.
- Lower the heat to medium-low, partially cover, and cook for another 5 minutes or so, until it’s nice and thick, stirring occasionally to prevent the bottom from burning. Add lemon juice, stir to combine, and top with equal amounts of leftover broccoli florets.
- Serve in a bread bowl if desired!
Find more of Valerie’s recipes on Vegan Travel Eats.