A vegan Caesar salad made with a healthy caesar dressing and homemade croutons, this recipe has it all. It has all the tanginess and creaminess that you would want and expect from a traditional caesar salad, but this one is completely plant-based.
- Romaine lettuce leaves
- Vegan “chicken”-style soya chunks
- 2 slices of bread
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Vegan parmesan cheese
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1–2 tsp dijon mustard
- 2 tsp capers
- 1 tsp caper brine (optional)
- ground black pepper
- For the caesar dressing, blend all the ingredients with ½ cup of water until smooth and leave to the side.
- As for the homemade croutons, slice your bread into cubes and lightly toss in olive oil and salt and bake until crispy and crunchy for around 10-15 min at 200C/400F, moving them around halfway through. Slightly stale bread for works perfectly for this.
- Place the chopped lettuce leaves with the soya chunks in a bowl and mix in the caesar dressing evenly.
- Top with the homemade croutons and a few grated slices of vegan parmesan cheese before serving.
- Sprinkle with an extra serving of black pepper if desired.
Find more of Philip’s recipes on @phitzee.