These tender vegan caramel whoopie pies will be a great addition to your afternoon coffee or weekend brunch! You can use store-bought caramel for the filling or make it at home – see more details in the recipe below.
- ½ cup soy milk
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup spelt flour
- ⅓ cup cacao powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- pinch salt
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp flax meal mixed with 3 tbsp water)
- ¼ coconut oil melted
- Extra mylk if necessary
- 1 cup ‘Coyo’ coconut yoghurt
- 3 tbsp vegan store bought caramel (for homemade, see below)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 3 tbsp coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp cashew or almond butter
- Preheat the oven to 160ºC/320ºF.
- In a bowl mix together the mylk and apple cider vinegar. In another bowl combine the dry ingredients, then add in all of the remaining wet ingredients including the soy mylk and ACV mix, and stir to combine. The mix should run easily off a spoon but still hold its shape, add more mylk if the mix is too thick.
- Spoon out 2 tsp sized mounds onto a lined baking tray, leaving 2 inches between each round, once all of the mix is used, bake for 10 – 15 minutes, or until they’ve risen slightly and a skewer inserted comes out clean. Assemble with the whipped cream filling!
- Whip yogurt with an electric beater until thick and holds its shape.
- Stir caramel through the whipped cream.
Homemade Vegan Caramel:
- Add all ingredients to a small saucepan and simmer over low heat until for about 3 minutes, allow to cool before adding to the whipped coyo.
Find more of Emerson’s recipes at @emerson_cooks.