- 400 g pasta, uncooked
- For the sauce:
- 250 g potatoes
- 1–2 carrots
- 1 onion
- 2–3 garlic cloves
- 175 ml water from the cooked vegetables
- 80 g cashew nuts (or cashew butter)
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tbsp mustard
- 1–2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- a bit of soy cream or cocont cream
- fresh parsley
- red pepper flakes
- Soak Cashews for 4-6 hours (or better overnight). Then drain. (Optionally, you can also use bought cashew butter).
- Chop potatoes, carrots, onion and garlic and cook for about 10 min, or until the vegetables are soft enough to blend. In the meantime, cook pasta ‘al dente’ according to package instructions. Drain afterwards.
- As soon as the vegetables are soft enough to blend, remove them with a slotted spoon from the cooking water and blend them with 175ml of that cooking water along with the remaining ingredients in a blender for about 2 minutes until smooth and creamy. (The consistency of the sauce depends on the amount of the liquid).
- Pour the sauce over your cooked noodles, heat up everything once again and refine with soy cream or coconut milk if you like. Serve your mac and cheese with red pepper flakes and fresh parsley in a pasta dish. As option you can place the noodles in a baking dish, sprinkle with bread crumbs and bake at 180C/350F for about 15 minutes. Enjoy!