Dalgona coffee is undoubtedly one of the biggest food trends this year, and now it comes in cupcake form!
Ingredients for the cupcakes:
- 240ml of dairy-free milk
- 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
- 210g of self-raising flour
- 20g of cocoa powder
- 60g of caster sugar
- ½ teaspoon of baking powder
- ½ teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 2 teaspoons of ground coffee
- 1 teaspoon of hot water
- 60g of vegetable oil / melted coconut oil
Ingredients for the dalgona frosting:
- 4 tablespoons of ground coffee
- 4 tablespoons of caster sugar
- 4 teaspoons of warm water
- Preheat your oven to 180C/360F and line a cupcake tin with cupcake cases.
- In a small bowl, combine the dairy-free milk with the apple cider vinegar and whisk until fully combined.
- Set aside for 10 minutes to curdle. This creates a vegan ‘buttermilk’.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda. Mix well to combine.
- In a small bowl, add in the ground coffee and hot water, stir together to make concentrated coffee.
- Add the oil into the ‘buttermilk’ and whisk to combine.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until a smooth batter.
- Fill the cases ¾ full with the batter.
- Make sure to tap the tins on the worktop to remove any air bubbles.
- Pop the cakes into the preheated oven and bake for 18-20 minutes.
- You will know they are done when you put a knife or skewer in and it comes out clean and they are springy to the touch.
- Place the cupcakes on a cooling rack and allow to cool fully before frosting.
- In a bowl, add in the coffee granules, sugar and warm water.
- Whisk vigorously for around 5-8 minutes until thick and creamy.
- Transfer the dalgona into a piping bag fitted with a large star tip nozzle and pipe swirls on top of the cupcakes.
Cupcakes with dalgona on top are best enjoyed the day of making.
The dalgona will not hold like usual buttercream / frosting. It’ll hold for an hour or so.
Find more of Holly’s recipes on @TheLittleBlogofVegan.
Dalgona coffee is undoubtedly one of the biggest food trends this year, and now it comes in cupcake form! And while these vegan chocolate dalgona cupcakes are super easy to make, it’s even easier to whip yourself up a cup of dalgona chocolate or some coconut sugar dalgona coffee. Hot or iced? You decide!