- 2.5 cups plain flour
- 4 tbsp cornflour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup vegan sugar*
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tbsp ground flax seed mixed with 5 tbsp cold water
- 1.5 cup dairy free milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup veg oil
- 4 tbsp cocoa powder
- 5 tbsp hot water
- Preheat oven to 180•c/360F and grease a loaf tin with a little oil.
- Add flour, cornflour, baking powder, soda, sugar and nutmeg to a large bowl and stir well.
- In a small dish mix flax seed with water to form a gel. Add flax gel, dairy free milk, vanilla, apple cider vinegar and veg oil to the bowl and stir briefly to incorporate. Don’t over mix.
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix cocoa with hot water. Pour in half of the vanilla batter and stir well. Using a tablespoon, alternate spoons of batter into the loaf pan until all batter is used up. For extra swirls, use a chop stick to swirl the top layer of the cake.
- Bake for 1 hour, until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool fully before slicing.
*Not all sugar is vegan as some companies use bone char to process the sugar. Organic sugar is, however, generally speaking vegan and certain countries have banned that filtering process, so if you want to be sure yours is vegan, simply google the brand name and “is this vegan”.