Spring is in full swing and it’s officially picnic and grilling season! With Memorial day coming up, we teamed up with our friends at Simply Organic to bring you delicious and fully vegan picnic ideas that you can enjoy with your friends and family. We promise you won’t miss meat one bit! All recipes serve four, but you can easily adjust the ingredients depending on how many people you’re enjoying these with. They can all be enjoyed cold, making them the perfect picnic dishes.
VEGAN CURRIED “CHICKEN” CHIPOTLE WRAP
4 whole wheat tortilla wraps
1 pack of vegan chicken-less strips (cut into 1/2- 1 inch pieces)
1 tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
2 green onions, chopped
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 tbsp Simply Organic curry powder
1/2 tsp Simply chipotle powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp coconut sugar
1 tbsp tomato paste
2-3 tbsp water water)
Fresh parsley to garnish
- Sauté the onion, green onion and bell pepper with the garlic powder in the olive oil at medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the “chicken”, salt and pepper and cook for 3 more minutes.
- Mix the tomato paste, coconut sugar and water and add to the pan, stir well and add the curry and chipotle powder. Mix everything and let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken mix to the wraps, top with parsley and then roll into wraps.
SMOKED PAPRIKA BUTTERED CORN ON THE COB
4 corn on the cob
4 tsp vegan butter or oil
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place the corn on a baking tray and spread 1 tsp of vegan butter on each ear of corn, then add 1/4 tsp of garlic salt and 1/4 tsp of smoked paprika to each ear as well.
- Bake for about 35 minutes.
SIDE SALAD WITH LEMON TAHINI DRESSING
1 large or 2 small head(s) of romaine lettuce, chopped
1/2 cucumber, diced
1 large tomato, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
1 small red onion, chopped
1/4 cup tahini
1 lemon, the juice
1/4 cup water
1/2 tsp Simply Organic garlic salt
- Mix all dressing ingredients using a fork or a whisk and serve with the salad.
ITALIAN NOODLE SALAD
8oz Penne (dry wright)
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp tomato paste
1/2 tsp Simply Organic basil
1/2 tsp Simply Organic parsley
sea salt to taste
- Cook the penne in lightly salted water according to package instructions (usually 10-12 minutes).
- Let the noodles cool and then mix them with all other ingredients.
SWEET POTATO BLACK BEANS WITH PARSLEY
2 cups of cooked black beans
1 sweet potato, peeled, steamed and mashed
1 celery stalk, chopped
1 handful fresh parsley, chopped
1/2 tsp sea salt
1.Mix all ingredients.
As a snack, appetizer or dessert, the best idea for a picnic on a sunny day is fresh fruit. You’ll stay hydrated and will get to enjoy its natural sweetness. Some of the best fruits for a picnic are sliced oranges, watermelons, apples and grapes.
We hope you enjoyed these recipes and that you’ll try some (or all) of them yourself. There are so many ways to make easy, yet delicious and nutritious meals with plants. Adding spices is one of the best ways to enhance the flavors and get the most out of your food. Last but not least, be sure to use reusable utensils and plates when planning your picnic to keep it eco-friendly.
Text, recipes and photos: Kim-Julie Hansen
Video: Natalie Thomas.
Disclaimer: This post is sponsored by Simply Organic. All opinions expressed are our own.