This Vegan Egg Salad is easy to make and the best Recipe ever! It’s a delicious protein-rich filling or spread for Breakfast Burritos, Sandwiches and Toast, making a perfect quick snack, lunch & meal prep idea.
Vegan Egg Salad
- 14 oz firm tofu (400g)
- ½ cup green onions finely chopped
- 3,5 oz Cornichon Cucumber Pickles (100g) chopped
- 2 tbsp Pickles juice
- ½ cup vegan mayonnaise
- 2 tsp mustard
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp dill
- 1 tsp black salt (Kala Namak) or other salt
- pinch of black pepper
To serve (optional)
- 1 cup peas (150g) thawed
- fresh cress to garnish
- 4 Tortillas (8/9-inch) gluten-free if needed
- ½ red bell pepper chopped
- ½ cup vegan cheese (60g) shredded
- 2 tbsp non-dairy cream (or plant milk)
- 2 tsp oil
- pinch of turmeric
Vegan Egg Salad
Drain tofu, then wrap in paper towels and squeeze gently to remove excess liquid.
Crumble squeezed tofu with your hands into a large bowl. Add all the remaining ingredients for the vegan egg salad and stir to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings or add more mayo, as needed.
Chill covered for at least 30 minutes (or better overnight) to allow spices and seasonings to marinate. (But you could also use it right away).
Serve on toasted bread and top with peas, and cress or other veggies and herbs you like. Or make Burritos:
Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C) and lightly grease a baking sheet or coat with nonstick cooking spray.
Spoon some of the vegan egg salad onto the center of each tortilla. Add the desired amount of peas, chopped bell pepper, vegan cheese or other ingredients. Fold in opposite sides of each tortilla, then roll up. Place, seam-sides down, onto the prepared baking sheet.
Combine non-dairy cream, oil, and turmeric. Brush Burritos with this mixture and bake until golden browned, crispy and heated through, about 12-15 minutes.
- The Burritos can also be wrapped in a sandwich paper for a delicious school or work snack.
- They can be frozen after assembling into individual servings, wrapped in foil and placed in a freezer ziplock bag.
- There is no need to thaw frozen burritos before baking them. Simply, wrap the burrito in a single layer of aluminum foil, place on a sheet onto the top rack of your oven and bake for 35-40 minutes. Then remove the foil, return to oven and bake for an additional 5-10 minutes, or until crispy. Optionally, you can reheat frozen burritos in the microwave but keep in mind that this results in a softer tortilla. Remove the aluminum foil, placing the burrito on a microwave-safe plate, and topping it with a paper towel. Heat until evenly warmed through, 1 to 2 minutes. Once thawed, you could also pan-fry your burrito from each side until crispy.