No vegan fast food restaurant near you? No problem! This vegan fried chicken recipe is perfect for those craving familiar textures & flavors.
Vegan Fried “Chick’n”
- 4 bags frozen vegan Chick’n Scallopini (thawed)
- 2 cups plant milk
- 8 oz liquid vegan egg replacer
- 2 Tbsp hot sauce
- 6 cups flour
- 8 Tbsp KFC Spice Mix (recipe below)
KFC Spice Mix (makes about ½ cup):
- ⅔ Tbsp Salt
- ½ Tbsp Thyme
- ½ Tbsp Basil
- ⅓ Tbsp Oregano
- 1 tsp Celery salt
- 1 tsp Black pepper
- 1 tsp Dried mustard
- 4 Tbsp Paprika
- 2 Tbsp Garlic salt
- 1 Tbsp Ground ginger
- 3 Tbsp White pepper
- 1 tsp Accent Seasoning (optional)
Vegan “Honey” Mustard
- ½ cup vegan mayo
- 2 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp yellow mustard
- 2 Tbsp vegan honey alternative (like agave or maple syrup)
- Juice of half a lemon
- Combine ingredients for spice mix and set aside.
- Bring a pot of oil to 375F / 180C.
- While your oil is heating up, tear your Scallopini Filets in half. I tore my at an angle instead of clean in half to create irregular shapes.
- Prepare your dredging station. Combine the plant milk, hot sauce and vegan egg in a bowl. If you are making a vegan buttermilk and not using a vegan egg, use an extra cup of plant milk and 2 Tbsp of apple cider vinegar. Let it sit for a couple minutes to form the buttermilk. Combine the flour and KFC seasoning in another bowl.
- Once oil is up to frying temperature, dredge your filets first in the wet mixture, then dry, and then repeat to double dredge. Place carefully in oil and let it fry until golden brown. Let it rest on a cooling rack.
- Serve with vegan “honey” mustard sauce, biscuits, coleslaw, mashed potatoes, whatever you want!
Find more of Watson’s recipes on @thee_burger_dude.
For more plant-based, cruelty-free, vegan fried chicken recipes, click here.