- 2 tbsp vegan butter or oil
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pepper sliced (e.g. red bell pepper)
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ¾ tsp sea salt or less/more to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp hot sauce or more to taste (optional)
- 2 tbsp cornstarch or arrowroot flour
- 1 ½ cups (360 ml) plant-based milk
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 10 oz (280 g) pasta of choice, gluten-free if needed
- Fresh herbs to garnish (e.g. parsley)
- Nutritional yeast to taste (optional)
- Cook your favorite pasta (regular pasta, gluten-free pasta, or grain-free pasta) in a pot according to package directions. Then, drain most of the pasta water but reserve ½ cup (120 ml) in a separate bowl.
- Meanwhile, heat vegan butter (or oil) in a large skillet and add garlic and sliced pepper. Sauté for about a minute, stirring frequently. Add all spices and stir to combine.
- In a bowl combine plant-based milk and cornstarch. Whisk until there are no lumps and pour the mixture into the skillet.
- Let simmer for a few minutes until thickened, then add lemon juice, hot sauce (or red pepper flakes), and also the cooked pasta. Stir to combine.
- Taste it and adjust seasonings. Add more salt/pepper/spices/lemon juice to taste. Add some reserved pasta water if you prefer a thinner sauce.
- Sprinkle with nutritional yeast and garnish with fresh herbs. Enjoy!