- 5 ounces baby portabella mushrooms
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 ounces) cooked lentils (or 15 ounces of lentils prepared by you)
- ½ cup red onion, diced
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons vegan Worcestershire sauce
- ½ cup Vegan Parmesan Cheese
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian Seasoning
- ¼ cup flaxseed meal
- ¼ cup hazelnut/almond flour
- ¼ cup cassava flour
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Preheat your oven to 400F/200C .
- Wash and destem your baby portabella mushrooms, then place them into a food processor/blender and pulse until they are diced (not blended). Empty them into a large bowl along with the drained and rinsed lentils and black beans
- Dice your red onion into small pieces and add to the bowl. With your hands, mash the lentils and black beans until they are no longer whole, but not too mushy.
- Add the tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, Vegan Parmesan Cheese, Italian seasoning, flaxseed meal, hazelnut/almond flour, cassava flour, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Using a spoon, stir to combine.
- Spoon a heaping tablespoon of the meatball mixture and gently roll between your hands to form a ball. Place onto a parchment-lined baking sheet and repeat.
- Bake for 30 minutes, flip them and then bake an additional 10 minutes.
- Store leftovers in the fridge or freeze for another meal later on.
If you have already tried this recipe for vegan Italian meatballs, how about spicing it up with some turmeric sauce next time?