- 1 medium brown onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 250g plain young jackfruit (if canned, rinse off brine)
- 1 Tbsp minced ginger
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 1 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cup coconut milk (reduced fat is fine too)
- 1/3 cup raw cashews (soak if blender is not powerful)
- 1 cup canned chickpeas, drained
- Add 1/2 cup of coconut milk, tomato paste and cashews to a high-speed blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Heat a pan over high heat and add the onion, garlic and ginger, cooking until soft and fragrant.
- Add in the jackfruit and cook for 8-10 minutes.
- Add all of the spices to the pan, combine and cook for 5 minutes.
- Then pour in the crushed tomatoes, cashew sauce, 1 cup coconut milk and lemon juice. Combine well, add the chickpeas and cook for 10 minutes.
- Adjust taste with spices or salt if desired.
- Serve with brown or white rice, coriander and coconut yogurt, and enjoy.
You can also make this recipe with mock meat or tofu.