These vegan jalapeño poppers might just become your new favorite party appetizer recipe. Stuffed with smoked tofu and a mix of cheeses, deep-fried to perfection, they come out crunchy and delicious!Print
- 3 oz (ca 85 g) smoked tofu
- 1 tsp (5ml) liquid smoke
- 2 tsp (10ml) soy sauce
- 8 oz (200 g) jalapeño peppers
- 6 oz (170 g) oat-based cream cheese
- 6 oz (170 g) plant-based cheddar cheese
- 3 oz (ca 85 g) oat-based crème fraiche
- breadcrumbs and/or panko
- oil for frying
- Chop the firm, smoked tofu into small pieces, add the liquid smoke and soy sauce. Let marinate for about 15 minutes while you chop the jalapeños.
- De-seed the jalapeños and cut them in half. I had huge ones, so I cut a lot in half again. (Don’t rub your eyes or anything else for that matter!)
- Grab your marinated tofu bits and fry them quickly on high heat.
- Mix the two cheeses in a bowl, and add the smoked tofu bits.
- Scoop up some of the cheese mix and press into the jalapeño pieces – I use my hands.
- Put the flour, breadcrumbs and/or panko and your thinned out crème fraiche into separate small bowls. Dip the stuffed jalapenos first into the liquid and then into the flour and let them dry.
- Now dip the stuffed jalapenos into the liquid and then the breadcrumbs. Make sure the whole popper is coated with crumbs, Either triple dip, like I did, or just re-dip and touch up the ones with a thinner coating.
- Half fill a small pot (to avoid using too much) with oil and heat on medium-high. Fry the poppers until golden (about 2 minutes) and drain on paper towels.
- Chow down!
Find more of Chris’ recipes at Planticize.