- 8 oz gluten-free macaroni style pasta (224g)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 medium onion, sliced (180g)
- 2 cups mushrooms of choice, sliced 1 cm thickness (380g // use 2+ kinds for more texture and flavor)
- 2 tsp vegetable broth powder (1 cube // 5g)
- ¼ cup cashew butter (60g // or ½ cup cashews)
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast (20g)
- 1 tbsp miso paste (15g)
- ½ tsp white pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 heaping tbsp corn starch (12g)
- 2 cup silken tofu (500g)
- 1 cup unsweetened soy milk (250ml)
- ½ cup non-dairy vegan cheese (120g)
- ¼ cup gluten-free panko (30g)
- scallions or chives for garnish
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and then cook pasta until al dente (follow instructions on package). Drain well, rinse the pasta with cold water and set aside.
- Add sauce ingredients to blender and blend until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- Over medium-high heat, add oil or water and sliced onions and cook for about 3 minutes. Add in the mushrooms and then cook until onions begin to caramelize (if using water, add as needed to pan doesn’t burn). Reduce the heat to medium, add sauce to the pan and gently stir for 1 minute until slightly thickened. Reduce the temperature to medium-low and then add in the pasta. Stir for 3-5 minutes until sauce thickens.
- Add everything to a baking dish or divide between 4 individual baking dishes and then top with vegan cheese and panko. Broil 5-7 minutes or until golden brown or bake at 450F for 15 mins. Top with black pepper and scallions or chives. Enjoy!
Find more of Lisa’s recipes on @okonomikitchen.
If a craving for comfort food is what brought you here, bake this hearty vegan Japanese macaroni gratin in a creamy dairy-free sauce and you’ll be satisfied. Want to master the art of comfort food? Check out this must-have cookbook we recommend to anyone on a similar quest.