- 1 can (14 oz) hearts of palm, drained
- 4 oz vegan cream cheese
- ¼ tsp Kelp flakes (optional)
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp chopped green onions
- 24 2 ½ inch Vegan Wonton wrappers
- Vegan Sweet & sour sauce for dipping
- A lot of Canola or Sunflower Oil for frying
Other equipment needed:
- Electric deep fryer
- If you don’t want to use a deep fryer you can fry in a large deep pot, but you will need a thermometer.
- Shred the hearts of palm up with your hands so it resembles crab meat and squeeze as much liquid out as you can. Even when you think you’ve squeezed enough liquid out, give it another few squeezes.
- Spread it out on a large clean kitchen towel and pat it dry
- Leave your cream cheese out to soften for a few minutes or microwave it in a medium-sized bowl for 10 seconds. Stir in the kelp flakes, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, salt & green onions until fully combined. Then fold in shredded hearts of palm.
- Now set up whatever frying apparatus you have, pour in the oil. (If you’re using a pot, make sure you have about 5 inches of oil inside and get the oil to 350F.) Next to your fryer or pot, set up a wire rack over some paper towels or a baking sheet.
- While the oil is heating up start wrapping your wontons. Place about 2 teaspoons of filling in the middle of the wonton wrapper and then fold to your desired shape, using water to seal the edges.
- Once you have about 8 wontons done (I found that if you do any more than 8 at a time they start coming apart) and your fryer oil is at temperature, add them to the fryer or pan. Don’t overcrowd your pot or fryer so if you’re using a smaller one, maybe try 6 at a time first. Fry for 3 ½ minutes then carefully remove and place on the wire rack to cool and drain excess oil.
- While they’re frying, start wrapping another 8 wontons. Repeat those steps until all wontons are fried! Serve with sweet and sour sauce for dipping.