- 1/2 tbsp oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 1/4 tsp sea salt or less/more to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup (105 g) dry red lentils
- 5 cups (1200 ml) water or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) plant-based milk or cream
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) tomato sauce (passata)
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 6 (150 g) lasagna noodles broken into pieces (you can use gluten-free noodles)
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/3 cup (80 g) cashew butter (*see notes)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Red pepper flakes (optional)
- Vegan ricotta or vegan mozzarella to garnish (optional)
- Fresh herbs (e.g. parsley) to garnish
- In a sieve, rinse lentils under running water, set aside.
- Chop the onion and garlic.
- Heat oil in a large pot and sauté the onion for about 3-4 minutes over medium heat. Add garlic and sauté for a further one minute.
- Add all spices (Italian seasoning, onion powder, paprika, sea salt, black pepper), the lentils, tomato sauce, tomato paste, cashew butter, and the vegetable broth or water. Stir with a whisk and bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile, break the lasagna noodles into smaller pieces. Once the soup boils add the lasagna noodles and cook for about 9-10 minutes or until the noodles are al dente.
- Finally, add the plant-based milk (or cream), the lemon juice, and nutritional yeast. Turn off the heat.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings. Add more salt, pepper, Italian herbs as needed. You can also add red pepper flakes or hot sauce for a spicier soup!
- Serve immediately and garnish with fresh herbs and vegan ricotta cheese. Enjoy!
The soup will thicken over time, as the noodles will absorb a lot of the liquid. Simply add more vegetable broth if you want to eat leftovers the next day. Store covered in the fridge for up to 5 days.
You can use any other nut butter of choice (for example almond butter). I had the best result with cashew butter though.
Find more of Michaela’s recipes on @elavegan.