Vegan Lemon Cake
- ½ cup non-dairy milk
- ½ cup non-dairy yogurt or sub more milk
- 1 lemon ¼ cup juice + 1–2 tbsp zest
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour or GF flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ cup canola oil or other neutral oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup strawberries (fresh or frozen) you’ll need 1-2 tbsp strawberry juice, or use only lemon juice
- 1–2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 ⅓ cup powdered sugar
Vegan Lemon Cake
- Preheat your oven to 355˚F (180˚C). Grease and line an 8.5-inch loaf pan.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, & salt into a large bowl. Then, whisk in the sugar to combine. Set aside.
- Add the non-dairy milk, non-dairy yogurt, oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, & vanilla extract to a measuring cup and stir to combine. Then pour it into the flour mixture & stir until just combined. (Please do not overmix).
- Pour the batter into your prepared pan, smoothing out evenly. Gently, tap the pan a few times on your work surface to remove any air bubbles & level out the top.
- Bake for 55-60 min, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of your cake comes out clean. (If it gets too brown during baking, cover loosely with a piece of parchment paper).
- Allow to cool for 10-15 min in the pan, then remove onto a cooling rack & allow to cool completely.
- Place the chopped strawberries in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring constantly, until they have become soft enough to mash, about 2-3 min. Place a fine-mesh strainer over a small bowl and push the strawberry puree though, leaving any seeds/large chunks behind. Measure out 2 tbsp of the strawberry juice (you can use the rest as a topping for pancakes, waffles, or enjoy with non-dairy yogurt). Allow to cool completely before using it.
- Stir together the powdered sugar, strawberry juice, & lemon juice until a smooth paste forms. (If it’s too thick, add more lemon juice. If it’s too watery, add more powdered sugar).
- Pour the glaze over your cooled lemon cake. Serve & enjoy!