- The base
- 2 cups raw almonds
- 2 cups pitted dates
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- The lemon filling
- 1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups full fat coconut cream
- 1/3 cup rice malt syrup
- 1 tbs lemon zest
- 1 tsp powdered agar agar
- tiny pinch of turmeric (optional: for colour, you shouldn’t be able to taste it)
- The base
- Pulse all the ingredients in a high speed blender or food processor until mixture sticks together. Try not to over blend, there should still be some texture from the almonds.
- Press mixture evenly into mini tart tins approx 9cm.
- Chill in the fridge while you make the filling.
- The filling
- Gently heat all the ingredients, except the agar agar in a small pot on low heat
- Once heated through whisk in the agar agar
- Bring mixture to the boil, reduce heat & simmer for a few minutes
- Allow the mixture to cool a little
- Pour into bases & chill in the fridge for a few hours or overnight.
- Decorate with fruit or edible flowers
- Best consumed straight from the fridge
- Makes approx. 10 tarts 8cm in diameter
- If you would like to make less you could try halving all the ingredients.