Trust us when we say that there’s nothing better than easy, whole-food plant-based cruelty-free recipes like this vegan lentil mushroom bolognese. It has all the flavor and texture you would expect from bolognese, and yet it’s good for you and the planet!
- 1 large yellow onion (small dice)
- a little olive oil or broth
- 2 medium carrots (large dice)
- 1 celery stalk (sliced)
- 16oz white or cremini mushrooms (sliced)
- ½ cup veggie broth + as needed
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 1 28oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups veggie broth
- 1 cup dried brown lentils
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp each dried basil, oregano, rosemary and thyme
- some maple syrup
- balsamic vinegar (1 tsp at a time)
- salt and black pepper to taste
- In a large skillet, sauté 1 large yellow onion (small dice) in a little olive oil or broth until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add 2 medium carrots (large dice), 1 celery stalk (sliced), 16oz white or cremini mushrooms (sliced) and sauté until mushrooms have released their liquid and browned. (Add more broth or oil as needed.)
- Use ½ cup veggie broth to deglaze skillet, scraping browned bits from sides and bottom into the veggies.
- Add 3 minced garlic cloves and sauté another 30 seconds before adding ¼ cup tomato paste, 1-28oz can diced tomatoes, 2 cups veggie broth, 1 cup dried brown lentils, ½ tsp baking soda, ½ tsp each dried basil, oregano, rosemary and thyme.
- Bring to a boil before reducing heat and simmer about 30 minutes, until sauce thickens and lentils have cooked. (Use more veggie broth along the way if needed.)
- Add some maple syrup, balsamic vinegar (1 tsp at a time), salt and black pepper to taste.
Find more of Nisha’s recipes on @cookingforpeanuts.