- 1 big potato peeled (200 g)
- 1 small carrot peeled (100 g)
- 1/2 cup cashews (75 g)
- 1/2 cup plant-based milk of choice (I used canned coconut milk)
- 1/3–1/2 cup vegetable broth (or use more plant-based milk instead)
- 1/2 small onion
- 2–3 cloves garlic
- 4 Tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 1/2 Tbsp tapioca flour (optional) *see recipe notes
- 1/2 Tbsp lemon juice or lime juice
- 1/2–3/4 tsp sea salt (or to taste)
- 1/3 tsp black pepper (or to taste)
- 1 tsp onion powder
- crushed pepper flakes (optional)
- 350g pasta of choice or zoodles (3–4 spiralized zucchinis)
- Soak cashews in hot water for at least 15 minutes until they are soft.
- Cut the potato and carrot into 1-inch cubes and cook in salted water for about 10-15 minutes or until tender (discard the water afterward).
- Boil your favorite pasta as per the instructions on the packaging or use a spiralizer to spiralize your zucchinis.
- Add all the vegan Mac and Cheese ingredients (except the pasta, of course) into a blender or food processor and mix well.
- Pour the sauce into a saucepan and bring to a boil. Let it simmer for about 1-2 minutes, stir constantly.
- Add your pasta or zoodles and serve immediately. Enjoy!
You can leave out the tapioca flour/starch, but this component makes the Mac and Cheese a little bit thicker and “stretchy” similar to “real” cheese.
Find more of Michaela’s recipes on Ela Vegan.