This masala curry mac and cheese takes the best of Indian and Western cuisines to make one deliciously epic dish! The cheesy, velvety sauce even has hidden cauliflower for an extra nutritious meal.
- 16oz pasta, such as fusilli, gluten free optional
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper, more or less to taste
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp tapioca starch
- 15oz can tomatoes, diced or whole
- 15oz can coconut milk (full fat)
- 1/2 medium head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 8oz vegan cheddar shreds or slices
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- cilantro for garnish (optional)
- Cook pasta in salted water according to package directions, until it is 1-2 minutes away from being done. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot heat 1 teaspoon of oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until soft, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the curry powder, cayenne, salt, and tapioca starch and stir to coat the onion. Let cook about 30-60 seconds.
- Pour in the tomatoes and coconut milk. Breaking apart the tomatoes if whole with the spatula. Add the cauliflower and vegan cheddar. Bring to a simmer, then lower the heat to medium low. Let simmer for about 15 minutes or until cauliflower is soft.
- Blend the sauce with an immersion blender or upright blender (for a smoother sauce), be careful as the sauce is very hot. Return to the pot and add the green peas.
- Add the pasta to the sauce and turn the heat on low. Cook for 1-2 minutes or until the pasta is perfectly cooked and the sauce has thickened around the noodles. Enjoy hot, garnish with cilantro if desired.
I don’t give an exact amount of cauliflower because the recipe is flexible. You should expect about 3-4 cups of cauliflower florets.