This Vegan Miso-Butter Smashed Potato recipe is an exclusive from Lucy Hosier’s new cookbook One-Pan Vegan. Click here to find out where you can order it. Lucy is the creator of the vegan food blog What Luce Eats.
Vegan Miso-Butter Smashed Potatoes
These potatoes will, without a doubt, be the most delicious potatoes you ever eat. Smashing them onto the sheet pan allows them to crisp up to perfection. And don’t forget the miso butter, which couldn’t be easier to prepare. I can assure you that you’ll have eaten several before you’ve even served them to your loved ones, so I’d recommend doubling the ingredients to make an extra big batch. They even taste amazing cold!Print
- 4.5 lb (2 kg) baby/new potatoes
- ½ cup (115 g) dairy-free butter
- 1½ tbsp (26 g) miso paste
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 scallions, sliced
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- Fresh cilantro
- Poke each potato with a fork a few times to allow steam to release while cooking. Cook the potatoes in the microwave for 10 minutes or until the potatoes are soft enough to smash. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C or gas mark 4).
- Melt the butter in the microwave then stir in the miso and garlic until smooth. Depending on thickness of the miso paste (all store-bought ones are different) you may need to put the whole mixture back in the microwave for 10 to 15 seconds to soften the miso paste in order for it to combine.
- Using a potato masher or fork, smash each potato so they break. Drizzle them with the miso butter and use a spoon or spatula to make sure they are completely coated.
- Place the pan in the oven and roast for 25 minutes. When cooked, garnish with the sliced scallions, sesame seeds and fresh cilantro.
Reprinted with permission from One-Pan Vegan by Luce Hosier. Page Street Publishing Co. 2022. Photo credit: Luce Hosier. Click here to find out where you can order a copy.
About the Author
Lucy Hosier is the creator of the popular vegan blog What Luce Eats. She’s known for her accessible, fast and innovative plant-based recipes. She has worked as a recipe developer for brands such as The Food Medic, Sainsbury’s, Heinz, Albert Bartlett and more. She lives in the North East of England.
About the Cookbook
Make vegan cooking a breeze with 60 trusty sheet pan recipes that the whole family will love. Each dish is full of wholesome ingredients that come together quickly. With hands-off options for any time of day, you’ll be amazed by the wide variety of delicious plant-based meals you can make with your sheet pan including:
• Crumbled Chorizo-Style Tofu Gnocchi Bake
• Portobello Mushroom Tacos with Spicy Chipotle Coleslaw
• Shawarma Tempeh Wraps
• Pesto Sausage Rolls
• Vegan Sheet Pan Paella
• Greek-Style Focaccia
• Coffee and Walnut Scones
• Apple Galette with Salted Caramel
• Carrot Sheet Cake
No matter what you’re in the mood for, there’s a sheet pan meal for everyone!
Disclaimer: the cookbooks we feature are independently selected by our Best of Vegan editors and are in no way sponsored by the author and/or the publisher.
SAVE/PIN/SHARE THIS RECIPE
If you liked this recipe, you might also enjoy…