Can’t wait for warmer times to come? This vegan mixed berry summer tart could just do the trick! It’s also gluten and refined sugar free.
- 1 ¼ cups almond meal
- 1 cup gluten-free flour
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ½ tsp vanilla bean extract
- pinch of salt optional
- 2 cups mixed berries (raspberries, blackberries & blueberries)
- 2 canned full fat coconut milk
- ½ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ¼ cup water
- ⅓ cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tsp agar agar powder
- 1 tbsp organic blueberry supercolour powder for the colour.
- Preheat oven to 180ºC/360ºF. Grease a tart pan. Set aside. In a food processor, combine crust ingredients and pulse to combine. You should get a moist mixture that can be easily moulded. Firmly press into the bottom and up the sides of the tart tin. Bake for 20-25 mins until crust is golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack and let it cool while you’re preparing the filling.
- Put the berries and water into a saucepan over medium heat. Mash the berries as they begin to heat up. Transfer mixture to the blender and blend until smooth. Strain it through a fine-mesh sieve.
- Add coconut cream into a saucepan and place on the stove on low heat. When the mixture becomes warm add the agar-agar and supercolor powder, stirring constantly, cook until agar completely dissolves. Then whisk in lemon juice and maple syrup.
- Remove from heat and strain it through a fine-mesh sieve into a heatproof bowl. Allow mixture to cool for 5 minutes.
- Pour the mixture into the cooled tart. Place tart in the fridge to set, about 4 hours or overnight. Garnish tart as desired with fruits and enjoy!
Recipe makes a 8” deep tart pan
Find more of Mei’s recipes on @nm_meiyee.