This vegan sheet cake has a light and airy sponge cake base, and is decorated with colorful funfetti and crunchy party rings!
For the cake:
- 480ml dairy-free milk
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 420g self-raising flour
- 200g caster sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 120g vegetable oil / melted coconut oil
- 10 vegan Party Ring biscuits (broken up into small pieces)
For the buttercream
- 140g dairy-free butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 400g icing sugar
- 20g vegan funfetti sprinkles
Party Rings for decoration
- Preheat your oven to 180C/360F & line a 9X13 inch deep rectangular cake pan with grease-proof paper.
- In a bowl, combine the dairy-free milk with the apple cider vinegar and whisk until fully combined. Set aside for 10 min to curdle. This creates a vegan ‘buttermilk’.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift the flour, sugar, baking powder & bicarbonate of soda. Mix well to combine.
- Add the oil into the ‘buttermilk’ & whisk to combine.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients & mix.
- Gently fold in the broken-up party rings. Don’t over mix them or they will bleed their colour.
- Pour the batter into the lined cake pan. Make sure to tap the tin on the worktop to remove any air bubbles.
- Place the cake into the center of the preheated oven & bake for around 28-30 min or until golden brown.
- You will know it is done when you put a knife or skewer in & it comes out clean & it’s springy to the touch.
- Place the cake on a cooling rack & allow to cool fully. Once cool, pop it into a sealed container to keep fresh before frosting.
- In a bowl/stand mixer, cream the butter on high until light & fluffy, then add in the icing sugar & vanilla extract.
- Fold in the sprinkles. Don’t over mix as sprinkles can bleed their colour into the buttercream.
- Spread the frosting over the top of the cake, using a spatula or spoon to create a swirly effect.
- Scatter sprinkles all over the top of the frosting.
- Place Party Rings all over the top of the cake
- Cut into squares to serve.
- Serve fresh or store in a sealed container in the fridge. Allow sitting at room temp after removing from the fridge, then enjoy. Best eaten within a few days!
Find more of Holly’s recipes on @TheLittleBlogofVegan.