Need a dessert to brighten up your day? Try this vegan passion fruit tart. Topped with decadent coconut chantilly cream (which is a term for sweet whipped cream), it’s an elegant dessert for any occasion.
Passion fruit cream filling
- 200g passion fruit pulp, about 6 passion fruits
- 400ml full fat coconut milk
- Juice of 1 lemon
- ¼ cup sugar of choice
- 2 tbsp cornstarch (dissolved in ¼ cup water)
- 1 tsp agar agar powder
Coconut Chantilly Cream
- 150g full fat coconut milk
- 100g dairy-free white chocolate
- 220g coconut whipping cream, chilled
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour *150g
- ¼ cup almond meal *28g
- ¼ cup powdered sugar *35g
- 90g cold vegan butter
- ½ tbsp cold almond milk *7g
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- Bring coconut milk to a boil, pour hot milk over the chocolate and whisk until smooth. Add the cold coconut whipping cream and whisk for 2 minutes. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 180°C/360°F. Grease a rectangle tart tin Set aside. In a food processor, add crust ingredients, pulse until combined and dough ball forms.
- Firmly press mixture into the tart pan with your hands, press into bottom and up the sides of tart pan. Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack and let it cool.
- Add passion fruit pulp and lemon juice into a blender. Pulse the blender to separate the seeds from their gelatinous membrane. Rest a fine-mesh sieve over a small bowl and pour the passion fruit into the sieve. Use the back of a spoon to press out the juice.
- In a saucepan, bring coconut milk and sugar to a boil. Add agar-agar and stirring constantly until completely dissolved, about 2 minutes. Add passion fruit juice, dissolved cornstarch, stirring constantly until smooth. Lower the heat and let simmer for 1 min. Pour mixture over the tart and refrigerate until set. Whip chilled Chantilly cream with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Pipe cream on the tart and serve.
Find more of Mei’s recipes on @nm_meiyee.