This Vegan Pesto-stuffed Crispy Potato Cakes recipe is an exclusive from Maria Gureeva’s new cookbook Earthy Vegan Eats: 60 Delicious Gluten-Free Plant-Based Recipes. Click here to find out where you can purchase a copy of the book.
Disclaimer: the cookbooks we feature are independently selected by our Best of Vegan editors and are in no way sponsored by the author and/or the publisher. All content is used with permission.
Maria Gureeva is the founder of the blog Earth of Maria and the food start-up Emriaplanet. Her recipes have been featured by the feedfeed and Thrive magazine. She currently lives in Oxford, UK.Print
Pancakes for dinner? Yes please! These potato cakes are a healthier comfort food, given that they are made entirely from wholesome ingredients, including a generous serving of greens in the pesto! Freeze any leftovers or store them in the fridge to enjoy for breakfast the next morning.
- 1 lb (454 g) russet potatoes
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp (15 g) tapioca flour
- ½ cup (15 g) spinach
- ⅓ cup (20 g) fresh parsley
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) lemon juice
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil
- ¼ cup (34 g) macadamia nuts
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil
- To make the dough: Boil the potatoes with the skin on for around 30 to 35 minutes, or until cooked through. The cooking time will depend on the size of the potatoes.
- To make the pesto: Add the spinach, parsley, garlic, lemon juice, salt, olive oil and macadamia nuts to a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth.
- Drain and rinse the potatoes, peeling them once they cool down. Transfer to a large mixing bowl and mash using a potato masher. Then, add the salt and tapioca flour, and use your hands to form a dough.
- Divide the dough into 12 evenly sized chunks, using around ¼ cup (60 g) of the batter for each one. Use your hands to flatten down each chunk, adding around 2 tablespoons (25 g) of the filling into the center and spreading it out using a spoon. Flatten down another dough chunk and place it on top, sealing around the edges.
- Heat 2 tablespoons (30 ml) of olive oil in a frying pan. Cook the potato cakes for 7 to 8 minutes on each side, until crispy and lightly browned, making sure not to overcrowd the pan. Serve immediately on their own or with a side of your choice.
Find more of Maria’s recipes in her latest cookbook, Earthy Vegan Eats.
PIN/SAVE/SHARE THIS RECIPE
Reprinted with permission from Earthy Vegan Eats by Maria Gureeva, Page Street Publishing, Co. 2021. Photo credit: Maria Gureeva.
Click here or on the cover above to get your copy.
About the Book
Living a healthier, plant-based life is easy with Maria Gureeva’s Earthy Vegan Eats: 60 Delicious Gluten-Free Plant-Based Recipes (Page Street Publishing, Co.; April 6, 2021; $21.99). You’ll be well-equipped to cook 60 delectable, gluten-free vegan meals with as little fuss as possible—there’s no need to spend long hours at the stove. Maria’s recipes are the best of both worlds, capturing the comfort of satisfying, down-to-earth meals without compromising on any aspect of your diet.
Start your morning with an elegant spoonful of Earl Grey Chia Pudding, or get indulgent with a savory plate of Pea and Zucchini Fritters with Smashed Avocado. When lunchtime rolls around, dig into the packed-with-flavor Sweet Potato and Jackfruit Coconut Soup, or try some Tofu Tikka Masala with Cilantro Rice to spice up your day. Sizzling Smoky Tempeh Pizza from Scratch and One-Pot Garlic Tagliatelle are as mouthwatering as they are easy to make and will have you looking forward to dinner all day. Craving dessert instead? Grab a slice of Rich Espresso Chocolate Cake or a Vanilla Cheesecake Bar for a treat at any time of the day.
You’ll be amazed at how quickly you can whip up these delicious vegan meals, and soon enough you’ll be dazzling your friends and family with each one you try. With Earthy Vegan Eats, cooking nutritious, vegan food has never been easier or tastier!
If you loved these vegan pesto-stuffed crispy potato cakes…