These delicious stuffed pasta shells are served with a Creamy Pistachio Sage and Lemon Sauce (optional, you can use any sauce you desire!).
Stuffed Pasta Shells:
- 16 egg-free jumbo pasta shells
- 3 shallots, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp of sea salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder*
- 1/2 tsp onion powder*
- 1 pinch of pepper
- 2.5 oz pistachios*, finely chopped (using a food processor or the pulse function of a blender)
- 2 cups of baby spinach, chopped
- 1 cup of vegan ricotta cheese*
Creamy Pistachio Sage and Lemon Sauce:
- 3 oz pistachios
- 2 oz pine nuts
- 1 1/2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup water
- 3 medium sized sage leaves (optional)
- 0.5 oz pistachios, roughly chopped
- Sage leaves to garnish (optional)
- Lemon wedges (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400F and cook the pasta shells in lightly salted boiling water for 8-9 minutes.
- While the pasta is cooking, sauté the chopped shallots and minced garlic cloves in the olive oil in a pot over medium heat for 3 minutes. Lower heat to low-medium and sauté for 2-3 more minutes. Remove from heat and mix in the finely chopped pistachios, vegan ricotta, chopped baby spinach and seasonings.
- Blend the creamy sauce ingredients until smooth and set aside.
- Once the pasta is cooked, rinse with cold water and drain.
- Fill each pasta shell with the ricotta spinach filling using a teaspoon.
- Add the sauce to an oven safe dish (depending on the size of your dish, you may need to use an additional smaller one) and top with the stuffed pasta shells.
- Bake at 400F for 10 minutes.
* I used a garlic onion pistachio mix by Setton Farms, if you’re using a pre-seasoned mix as well, you can omit the garlic and onion powder.
*This makes 4 servings as a side dish and 2-3 servings as a main dish
*Vegan ricotta is ideal, but can be subbed for crumbled extra firm tofu or vegan cream cheese.