These vegan pumpkin samosas are a perfect fall snack or party appetizer! The hearty flavor of pumpkin and crispy texture of the dough work really well with the cilantro mint chutney, but you can choose your own sauce!
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 2–3 tablespoons avocado oil
- ½ cup hot Water
- 3 tbps of non dairy yogurt
- one handful Sesame Seeds
- 1 medium size Butternut Squash (about 2 cups)
- 1 large red onion
- 5–6 fresh curry leaves (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Pepper
- ½ teaspoon Cumin
- 2 tsp of coconut or date sugar
- 3 tablespoons Avocado Oil
- Preheat oven to 380°F/190°C.
- In a stand mixer, combine flour, hot water, nondairy yogurt, and salt and knead the dough for 5 minutes until the dough is smooth. cover and rest for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mince onion and pumpkin. I used my food processor to mince all the filling ingredients coarsely. Mix with salt, pepper, cumin, sugar, and oil.
- Divide the dough into 12-15 pieces. Make a ball, dust the surface lightly with flour and roll out each dough ball into 4-5 inch diameter. Repeat the process with each dough piece. They don’t have to be perfectly round. Fill each dough with 2 tbsp of the pumpkin mixture and fold it in a triangle. Fill all dough wrappers with the pumpkin filling.
- Line cookie trays with some parchment paper. Place the samosas with the folded side down on the cookie tray. Brush each samosa with some almond or soy milk, sprinkle with some black sesame seeds and bake them for 30 min until the top is golden brown.
- Enjoy with some mint chutney.
Zuliya used store-bought vegan Empanada Wrappers for the quick version. (1 pack)
Skip the dough making part if you’re using pre-made wrappers as well.
Find more of Zuliya’s recipes on @naturallyzuzu.