- 1 1/2 tbsp dry yeast
- 1 1/2 cups warm soy milk
- 1/2 cup vegan sugar
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/3 cup vegetable shortening
- 5 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp cacao powder
- vegan red food colouring (you can use juice of red beets if you don’t mind the taste)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- vegetable oil
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp room temperate soy milk
- Dissolve the yeast in the 1/2cup warm milk in a big bowl.
- Add the rest of the milk, sugar, salt, applesauce, shortening, Cacao powder, food colouring and 2 cups of flour.
- Mix by hand or with the dough hook of your kitchen. Slowly add the rest of the flour. Once incorporated, cover the bowl with a towel and leave to rise for an hour in a warm place with no draft. When dough has doubled in size it’s ready to take it out of the bowl and onto a lightly floured surface.
- Gently roll out the dough to about 1 1/2 cm (1/2 inch) thick and cut out donut shapes.
- Once you are done cutting out all the donuts, cover them and allow to rise once more. meanwhile you can heat up your vegetable oil.
- When they are doubled in size they are ready to be fried golden brown on each side.
- Leave to cool, while making the frosting by mixing the powdered sugar, vanilla and soy milk in a bowl. Dip in the cooled donuts one by one and leave the glaze to dry. Then eat your heart out!