Looking for a perfect flavor-texture combination? This vegan smoked cheddar grilled cheese pairs really well with the tomato basil bisque. It does require a little time and effort to make, but the result is so worth it!
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons agar agar flakes
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch or tapioca starch
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 to 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 cup of raw cashews
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- Basil oil (½ cup olive oil + about ¼ cup fresh basil leaves, blended until smooth) Set aside.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium chopped onion
- 2 cloves of roughly chopped garlic
- 28 ounces of oven roasted tomatoes
- 1 to 2 cups of broth
- ½ cup of Trader Joe’s vegan cream cheese
- sourdough bread
- horseradish mustard
- smoked cheddar
- a sprinkle of the cashew “Parmesan”
- Earth Balance vegan butter
- For the smoked cheddar, combine 1 can coconut milk with 2 tablespoons agar-agar flakes in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 15 minutes. Add in 1 tablespoon smoked paprika, ½ cup nutritional yeast, 2 tablespoons cornstarch or tapioca starch, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 1 teaspoon pepper, and 1 to 2 teaspoons soy sauce. Whisk to combine and simmer for another 10 minutes. Pour into a well-oiled dish and cool. Refrigerate for a couple of hours till firm. This can be thinly sliced for the grilled cheese!
- For the cashew “Parmesan”, combine 1 cup of raw cashews with ¼ cup nutritional yeast, 1 tablespoon soy sauce, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, and 1 tablespoon mustard in a food processor. Pulse until the cashews are broken down and the mixture is crumbly.
- For the tomato soup, make a simple basil oil by blending ½ cup olive oil with about ¼ cup fresh basil leaves till smooth. Set aside. In a large pot, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add in 1 medium chopped onion and 2 cloves of roughly chopped garlic. Sauté for a couple of minutes. Add in about 28 ounces of oven-roasted tomatoes and 1 to 2 cups of. The table broth. Simmer for about 10 minutes. Add in about ½ cup of Trader Joe’s vegan cream cheese and a few tablespoons of the basil oil. Transfer soup to a blender and purée. Return to pot and keep warm over low heat.
- For the grilled cheese, I used sourdough bread. I spread some horseradish mustard on one side of the bread. Top with a layer of smoked cheddar and a sprinkle of the cashew “Parmesan”. Top with another piece of bread. Butter the outsides of the bread with Earth Balance vegan butter. Grill in a pan set over medium heat on each side till golden brown and toasted. Serve with a bowl of the tomato soup and a drizzle of the basil oil.