- 1 1/2 c unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 c pastry flour
- 1 tbsp organic cane sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 c cold vegan butter
- 1/3 c cold non-dairy milk
- 2 c strawberries
- 1/4 c organic cane sugar
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- 1/4 tsp lemon zest
- 1/8 tsp agar agar powder (Optional)
- 1 c powdered sugar
- 1–2 tbsp non-dairy milk
- Vegan Sprinkles
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flours, sugar and salt. Cut butter into small cubes and add to the bowl. Using your hands or a pastry cutter, cut the butter into the flour until incorporated and the butter is pea-sized.
- Slowly drizzle in the cold milk and stir until a soft dough forms. Form into a ball and tightly wrap in plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate for 30min. While the dough is refrigerating, prepare the jam. In a saucepan, add the strawberries and sugar. Bring to a simmer. In a small bowl, whisk together 1tbsp cornstarch and 1tbsp water. Pour slurry into the saucepan and stir. Add the lemon zest and agar. Simmer for 15-20min. until thick and reduced.
- Transfer to a small jar and cool in the fridge to further thicken. Take the dough out of the plastic wrap and cut in half. Take 2 sheets of parchment paper. Place the ball in the center of one sheet and place the other sheet on top.
- Roll the dough out into an 8×6.5 inch rectangle. Cut off any rough edges. Repeat with other dough ball. Wrap in parchment paper and stick in the fridge to chill for an additional 30min. Cut dough rectangles into 4 3×4 inch small rectangles.
- Take 2 tbsp of strawberry jam and place in the center of 4 of the 8 rectangles. Brush on water on the edges to seal with the naked dough rectangle. Seal the pop tart with a fork. Transfer to a lined baking sheet. Repeat with the other 3 remaining pop tarts. Preheat the oven to 350F. While oven is preheating, store pop tarts in the fridge.
- Before placing in the oven, brush each pop tart with maple syrup and sprinkle with fine cane sugar. Bake for 35min. until golden brown and bottoms are crispy. Cool for 15min. Whisk together icing ingredients in a bowl until creamy. Spread icing on each pop tart and sprinkle with rainbow sprinkles.