This Sweet Potato Fajitas Breakfast Burritos recipe is an exclusive from Angela Rummans’ cookbook Angela’s Plant-based Kitchen. Click here to find out where you can purchase a copy of the book.
Disclaimer: the cookbooks we feature are independently selected by our Best of Vegan editors and are in no way sponsored by the author and/or the publisher. All content is used with permission.
While Angela Rummans is best known as a TV personality appearing on season 20 of Big Brother, beyond the small-screen, her list of accolades includes: level 10 gymnast, fitness model, entrepreneur, business owner, professional pole vaulter, 2012 Olympic Team Trials competitor, best-selling author and now… vegan chef!
Her passion for health and fitness began at an early age as she competed as a top-level gymnast which eventually transitioned to a professional track and field athlete. Seven years ago she began experimenting with a plant-based lifestyle while she was training as a professional athlete. Today she is fully vegan and on a mission to share her passion for cooking and her favorite plant-based comfort food recipes with the world!
- 1 medium sweet potato
- ¼ cup Tofutti sour cream
- ¼ cup salsa
- ½ recipe Tofu “Eggs” (see recipe page) or 1 cup JUST Egg, scrambled
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup yellow onion, julienne cut
- 1 cup red bell pepper, julienne cut
- ½ tsp chipotle chili powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 4 burrito size tortillas
- ½ cup black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium avocado, sliced
- 1 cup sprouts
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400ºf/200ºC.
- Wash and dry sweet potato. Pierce with a fork and wrap with aluminum foil. Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes. When the 30-minute timer is up, turn the oven off and allow the sweet potato to cool in the oven for 15 minutes before removing it.
- In a small mixing bowl combine Tofutti sour cream and salsa, and mix well. Set aside.
- Make tofu “eggs” or scramble JUST Egg egg replacement. Set aside.
- Chop sweet potato into cubes.
- In a skillet, add olive oil, sweet potato cubes, onion, red bell pepper, chipotle chili powder and salt.
- Cook 6-8 minutes or until sweet potato is lightly browned and onions and peppers are soft. Remove from heat and set aside.
- To assemble burritos, first warm tortillas in pan or microwave (10 seconds).
- Lay burrito tortilla on a flat work surface to provide ample space for filling then rolling.
- Add 1-2 Tbsp Tofutti salsa mixture, ¼ of the “egg,” 2 Tbsp black beans, ½- 3/4 cup of the sweet potato fajita mixture, ¼ of the avocado slices, a small handful of sprouts, and chopped cilantro. (Place all ingredients together in the lower bottom area of the tortilla closest to you.)
- Fold in opposite sides of the burritos and then roll away from you.
- Repeat this step with the rest of the tortillas.
- Serve warm, as is, or lightly grill in a hot skillet before serving.
Reprinted with permission from Angela’s Plant-based Kitchen by Angela Rummans, 2020. Photo credit: Angela Rummans.
(Click on the image above to order your copy)
PIN/SAVE/SHARE THIS RECIPE