- 12 oz any pasta (340 g) (gluten-free, if desired)
- chopped herbs (for garnish)
Vegan Sweet Potato Sauce:
- 1 sweet potato (approx. 12 oz)
- ½ tbsp olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- ½ cup soaked cashews (75 g) or cashew butter (or sub coconut cream)
- 2/3 cup water (160 ml)
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes (optional)
- 1 tsp smoked paprika (optional)
- ½ tsp sea salt or more to taste
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp lemon juice (optional)
- 1 tbsp oil 9 oz mushrooms (250 g) sliced
- 2 cloves garlic chopped (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Soak the cashews for at least 3-4 hours. Otherwise, you can cover them with boiling water and soak for only approx. 15 minutes to speed up the process, or simply use cashew butter.
- Prick the sweet potato a few times with a fork and microwave until soft, for 6-7 minutes. (Optionally, bake the sweet potato in the oven at 425°F for about 50-60 minutes). Afterwards, peel it and scoop out the flesh.
- Cook pasta according to package directions in a salted pot of water.
- While the pasta is boiling, in a pan over medium high heat, heat the oil.
- Add the onion, stir and let cook until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and roast for one minute longer. Remove the onions and garlic from the pan and add it to a blender along with the soft sweet potato, cashews, nutritional yeast, smoked paprika, lemon juice, salt, and black pepper. Blend it all together for 2-3 minutes, or until smooth and creamy.
- Add more water and seasonings until desired consistency and taste if necessary. Pour the sauce into a large skillet or pan.
- Heat over medium heat while stirring for 2-3 minutes, or until hot and bubbly. When the pasta is al dente, drain, add to the sauce and toss to combine. Cook for about 1-2 minutes until sauce sticks well to the pasta. (If the sauce gets too thick, add more water or plantbased milk to thin. For more creaminess, you can also add a little coconut cream).
- Pan-fry mushrooms in a pan with some oil for 6-8 minutes until golden browned. Add garlic and roast for one minute longer. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve your creamy pasta with roasted mushrooms and fresh chopped herbs to garnish and more yeast flakes/ vegan parmesan cheese if you like.
- You can fill the sauce into a sealed jar and store it in the fridge if you want to serve it later. It will last for up to 5 days in the fridge, or you can freeze for even longer.
- Please make sure to store leftover sauce apart from the pasta. Otherwise it gets sticky. It’s always best served with new cooked pasta.