Looking for a filling, flavorful, easy-to-make lunch or dinner recipe? This vegan tofu bolognese checks off all the boxes!
- 1–14oz pack of extra firm tofu
- 2–15 oz cans (approximately 4 cups) homemade or store-bought tomato sauce
- Pasta of choice
- 1–½ tbsp gluten-free tamari/soy sauce
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1–½ tsp chili powder
- 1–½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1–½ tsp chipotle powder (smoked red jalapeño powder)
- ¾ tsp garlic powder
- 1–½ tbsp olive oil (optional)
- Pat dry 1-14oz pack of extra firm tofu and crumble with hands into the size of what ground meat would look like. Set aside.
- Mix together the marinade. Rub marinade evenly over tofu crumbles. Bake on a parchment-lined baking sheet at 375ºF/190ºC. Toss after about 15 minutes and continue cooking until browned but not burnt.
- Mix with homemade or store-bought tomato sauce and simmer for about 15 minutes until slightly thickened. (Use desired amount of tomato sauce depending on how saucy you want your bolognese. I used the equivalent of about 2-15 oz cans or approximately 4 cups.)
- You can cook your pasta in the same pot. Just add pasta after the sauce has simmered a few minutes, then cover the pot and simmer for the time it takes for the pasta to cook. Or cook the pasta separately and add when serving.
Find more of Nisha’s recipes at Cooking For Peanuts.