Prolong your summer with this creamy vegan vanilla bean ice cream recipe. It takes very little effort, and a little time to make, but the result is so worth it!
- 1c cashews (soaked 3 hours, rinsed and drained)
- 400ml coconut milk/cream*
- 2 vanilla beans (scraped) OR 1 tsp vanilla powder
- 3 tbsp light coconut nectar
- 2 tbsp virgin coconut oil (softened)
- ¼ tsp guar gum**
- pinch sea salt
- Blend all ingredients in a high-speed blender until super smooth, scraping down the sides in between as needed. You should have absolutely no cashew bits left, it should feel like a silky cream.
- Pour into a large ice cube tray, or a tray lined with baking paper and freeze overnight.
- In the morning, turn out your ice cubes, or your ice cream block and slice into fingers, then add them to your food processor. You may want to wait 5 -10 minutes here for the cubes/slices to soften ever so slightly. Now pulse and then blend on low to medium (not high) until you have a smooth creamy ice cream. This is what gives the ice cream it’s light fluffy texture, by adding air particles. Pour back into your tray (unlined) and put in the freezer again for a few hours or overnight.
- To serve, bring the ice cream out for 5-10 minutes or so before scooping.
Always use certified organic, local and fairly traded ingredients wherever possible.
I use Trade Aid’s organic fair trade coconut milk in all my recipes. Unlike some coconut milks/creams which separate, this one has a beautiful thick even consistency. It’s called “coconut milk” but is much more like a coconut cream.
Guar Gum is a plant-based thickener derived from “Guar” beans, but in small quantities can also prevent ice crystals which cause ice cream to harden into icicles. It helps the water molecules bind to the fat molecules giving you a creamy result. It’s only a tiny amount but you definitely get a much smoother authentic ice cream when you include it!
c = 250ml cup, tbsp = 15ml tablespoon, tsp = 5ml teaspoon
Find more of Buffy’s recipes on her blog, Be Good Organics.
We bet this ice cream will work really well on top of a vegan pie. Click here to find pie recipes to pair with this creamy goodness!