Easy to make, affordable, and filling – this vegan wrap n’ bake knish makes a great low effort lunch!
- 1 ½ lbs Yukon gold potatoes (about 5 medium)
- 1 medium yellow onion halved & sliced in ⅛ in strips
- 1–1 ½ cup low salt veggie broth
- ¼ cup fresh parsley finely chopped
- 8 (8 inch) flour tortillas
- 2 tbl flour mixed with equal parts water (flour paste)
- salt / pepper
- On stove top using a large saucepan, heat ¼ cup broth on high, when it starts to boil, add onions, set to med/low, stirring frequently, when broth has evaporated & onions start to stick, add another ¼ cup broth. Repeat this process for about 20 minutes until onions are caramelized, set aside. I know, 20 min!! But it’s worth it.
- In a large pot, cover potatoes with cold water, add a dash of kosher salt. Bring to a boil, lower heat to simmer for 10 minutes until fork tender.Reserve ½ cup water, then drain potatoes
- In a large bowl, mash potatoes with a masher/or the back of a fork, add caramelized onions, fresh parsley, salt & pepper to taste, add 1 tbl of reserved water to get a smoother consistency if needed, but still having a somewhat lumpy texture
- Time to make the knish: put ½ cup filling in the center of the tortilla, & mold it into a 3×3 in square. Fold the right side of tortilla over to the middle, dab flour paste along its edge, bring the left side of the tortilla over to join the right side & gently press there will be a nice seal. Repeat this process by joining the top & bottom halves to the middle using the flour paste to close & seal.Place knish on parchment lined baking sheet. Repeat. Making about 8.
- Bake at 350º F for about 12-14 minutes flipping halfway through.It should be firm & not too crisp. I served mine with spicy mustard. Enjoy!
Find more of Sara’s recipes on @thevegansara.