New York has it all when it comes to food, so I decided to challenge a friend to answer the question: Will a meat eater survive 3 Vegan restaurants in New York? Watch the video above to find out!
As many of you may know, I’m vegetarian with a love for vegan food. Vegan food might sound crazy to some meat eaters, but trust me, it can be SO damn good. And when I say good, it’s to the point that my meat eating friends love it too and even ask to go back when we dine at vegan restaurants!
That said, I decided to throw a challenge to my meat loving friend Jared Zuckerman from Eat and Be Full. I took him to 3 of my favorite vegan restaurants in NYC that I would recommend to anyone looking for amazing food! He loved the idea and was immediately onboard. Watch the video to find out how it went and get details about each of the restaurants below. Enjoy!
Little Choc Apothecary
I don’t get tired about talking and sharing my love for Little Choc Apothecary, located in Williamsburg, Brooklyn.
They are the first and only vegan créperie in New York serving savory and sweet options, in addition to a huge tea menu.
This time, we had the:
- Jacked up: smoky pulled jackfruit, caramelized onion, roasted red pepper, kale and homemade BBQ sauce
- Burrito: avocado, coconut bacon, black beans, homemade chipotle hot sauce and homemade cashew cheese
- Choc Butter Newtella: no need for explanations, but it’s their famous homemade hazelnut spread
Monday – Thursday: 8am – 11pm
Friday: 8am – 12am
Saturday: 9am – 12am
Sunday: 9am – 11pm
Location: 141 Havemeyer Street, Brooklyn
Marty’s V Burger
One of the most famous vegan burgers in town was created by a genius guy called Marty!
It became famous across town in no time, and since Jared is into burgers, I decided to take him there. As we’ve said before, Marty’s V Burger is a “Fast Food. No Bull.” type of food. Super up our alley!
Everything there is homemade and you’ll be amazed at how tasty every dish is!
We ordered the:
- Original World Famous Burger: a burger patty topped with melted cheddar “cheese”, special sauce, pickles, and crisp shredded lettuce, on a sesame seed bun!
- Double Crabby Patty: seared crispy on the outside, two succulent crablike patty topped with jalapeño tartar sauce and lettuce on a sesame seed bun; can be GF on a gluten free bun
Monday – Saturday: 11am – 10pm
Sunday: 11am – 8pm
Location: 134 East 27th Street
Bar Velo Brooklyn
This has been my lasted obsession and I can’t seem to stay away!
Bar Velo Brooklyn is located in a curious spot, right under a subway track in South Williamsburg, Brooklyn. A few people might be a bit skeptic about the location, but I do have to say that I like where it’s at. Maybe because it surely keeps the huge masses of tourists away, attracting mostly the hip local crowd, as well as the well-informed tourists, like you!
I love everything from the décor, to absolutely all the dishes and their cocktail menu.
Here, we tried a couple of different dishes:
- BLT Burger: Tempeh bacon, avocado, organic tomato and lettuce on grilled baguette
- BBQ Burger: Eggplant sandwich with aioli and pickles
- Flatbread: Truffle mushroom, bacon, “sour cream” flatbread
- Dessert: Panacotta with aged balsamic
- Cocktail #2: Scotch, Ginger, Lemon, Islay, Burned Rosemary
- Cocktails #4: Hot Whiskey, Maple, Lemon,Ginger, Cloves, Candied Clementine
Twilight Drink Hours (daily): 5:30pm – 7:30pm
Dinner (daily): 5:30pm – 12am
Saturday & Sunday Brunch: 11am – late
Location: 394 Broadway, Brooklyn
As you saw in the video, Jared had a great time trying all these spots with me!
So, my dear meat eating friends out there, please give try these spots a try. You will be amazed with what Vegan Cuisine has to offer, I promise!