An easy last-minute birthday option, this vegan yellow cake with chocolate buttercream frosting is worth a try!
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 t baking powder
- ½ t baking soda
- ½ t salt
- ¾ cup + 2 T plant milk
- ½ T white vinegar
- 1 ½ t vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup cane sugar
- 1 stick vegan butter (room temp)
- 2 ½ cups powdered sugar
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 2 T plant milk
- To make the cake, preheat your oven to 350F and grease/line an 8 in or 9 in square baking pan.
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a large mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together the plant milk, vinegar, vanilla, oil, and sugar. Add wet ingredients to dry, then mix until everything is well incorporated (little lumps are ok).
- Pour batter into your square pan & bake for 25-30 min, or until golden at edges and a toothpick inserted into the middle emerges clean.
- To make the frosting, add the butter, cocoa, powdered sugar, and plant milk to a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat the frosting till light, smooth and creamy (~3-4 min).
- Spread the frosting over the cake. Add sprinkles if you like. Slice and serve!
Find more of Gena’s recipes on @thefullhelping.