- 1 14 oz package extra firm tofu, pressed for 20 min or super firm tofu
- 1/3 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1 cup finely crushed vegan oyster crackers (the kind you’d get with soup, you can find them near the saltines at the grocery store)
- 2 tbs kelp granules
- 1/2 cup vegan egg replacer
- 2 cups canola oil or other high-heat oil
- 4 vegan buns
- 4 slices vegan American cheese
- ¾ cup vegan mayonnaise
- 2 tbs sweet relish
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- ¼ tsp lemon zest
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp fresh cracked pepper
- ½ tsp onion powder
- Mix together the tartare sauce ingredients, cover, and put in the fridge for at least an hour.
- Heat the canola oil in a large heavy-bottomed skillet over medium-high heat. Let it get nice and hot while you prep the rest of the ingredients.
- Place a baking rack over a baking sheet and set next to the skillet. Turn the tofu block on its side and filet down the middle lengthwise, then filet those pieces down the middle again so you end up with 4 equal slabs of tofu
- Put ½ cup vegan egg replacer (I used Just Egg) in a small dish but big enough to be able to dunk the tofu in
- Combine the kelp, breadcrumbs, vegan oyster cracker crumbs, and ¼ tsp salt on a large plate
- Once your oil is hot, dunk the tofu in the egg then in the kelp mixture, gently but firmly pressing the breadcrumbs into it on all sides. Place in oil and repeat with one more piece of tofu. (Fry only 2 pieces of tofu at a time otherwise it will cool the oil too much and the tofu will absorb a bunch of oil and it will be way too oily!) Fry 2 minutes then flip and fry another 2 minutes, remove and place on baking rack to drain. Repeat with other 2 pieces of tofu.
- Assemble your sandwiches, spread a little tartare sauce on the bottom bun, place a slice of cheese, tofu slab, spread more tartare on the top bun and you’re done!