This Salted Miso Brownies recipe is an exclusive from Meera Sodha’s new cookbook EAST: 120 Vegan and Vegetarian Recipes from Bangalore to Beijing. Click here or on the image below to find out where you can purchase a copy of the book.
Disclaimer: the cookbooks we feature are independently selected by our Best of Vegan editors and are in no way sponsored by the author and/or the publisher. All content is used with permission.
Meera Sodha (author of Made in India and Fresh India and The Guardian’s vegan columnist) has just released a stunning new cookbook, East. Looking beyond India to East Asia and South East Asia, Meera found incredible inspiration for how to shift vegetables from the side to the center of the plate. This cookbook is a collaboration between Meera and the home cooks and chefs she met on her culinary journey east, and it features 120 vegan and vegetarian recipes from Bangalore to Beijing like Mushroom Bao, Pumpkin Malai Kari, Silken Tofu with Pine Nuts and Pickled Chiles, Brussels Sprout Nasi Goreng and Salted Miso Brownies.
If I were in charge of brownies and their taxonomy (which, sadly, I’m not), there would be a proper list of categories. The only thing that uniﬁes them really is the chocolate, beyond which they can be cakey, crumbly, chewy, or cocoa-y (and many other things beyond those beginning with the letter “c”).
This one is my perfect brownie: dense and fudgy thanks to the chia seeds; rich, but not sickeningly so; with a salted caramel-like ﬂavor that comes from using white miso and salt together. It makes this brownie incredibly special. And there is no category for that.
- ¼ cup + 1 tbsp ground chia seeds
- ½ cup + 2 tbsp (10 tbsp) reﬁned coconut oil
- 9 oz dark chocolate (70%), broken into small pieces (use dark chocolate suitable for vegans)
- 1¾ cups light brown sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose ﬂour
- 3 tbsp white miso
- ¾ tsp ﬂaky sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and line an 8-inch x 8-inch cake pan with parchment paper. In a small bowl, mix the ground chia seeds with 1 cup + 2 tbsp of water and set aside.
- Place the coconut oil and broken chocolate in a medium-sized saucepan and set over a low heat. Stir occasionally until melted, then take off the heat. Mix in the sugar, ﬂour, and miso, and crumble in the salt ﬂakes. Finally, add the bloomed chia seeds and mix. Pour into the lined pan and gently shake to distribute the mixture.
- Place on the middle shelf of the oven for 45 minutes or until ﬁrm to the touch around the edges with a slight wobble in the middle, then remove. The brownies might be wobbly in the middle, but they will soon settle down and become deliciously fudgy. Leave to cool completely, then cut into 16 squares.
Excerpted from EAST by Meera Sodha. Copyright © 2020 by Meera Sodha. Reprinted with permission from Flatiron Books. All rights reserved. Photography by David Loftus.
PIN/SAVE/SHARE THIS RECIPE
If you loved these vegan salted miso brownies…
Stay tuned for more exclusive recipes from Meera Sodha’s EAST! In the meantime, you could check out these vegan brownie recipes: