Winter calls for comfort food, and what can be more comforting than a delicious vegan green curry rice noodle bowl? It’s packed with fiber & flavor, and is definitely worth trying!
Green curry paste ingredients:
- 1 cup packed Thai basil leaves
- a handful of cilantro (~10-12 stalks)
- 3 cloves garlic, 2 shallots, 1 knob (thumb size) ginger/galangal
- 3–4 tablespoons chopped lemongrass (white part only)
- 1–2 jalapeños & a handful of Thai lime leaves (optional or sub with 1-2 tablespoons lime
- salt to taste
- 2–3 servings of *Thai rice sticks, soak in water until slightly soft 4 cups of veggie stock
- 1 pack 16oz firm tofu, drained & cubed
- 1 cup King oyster mushrooms, sliced & scored
- 2–3 servings of blanched broccoli
- 3 tablespoons vegan ‘fish’ sauce (see recipe in @woon.heng’s story highlights)
- coconut milk (adjust to preference)
- oil & salt to taste, crushed chili flakes, lime
- To make curry paste, blend all the ingredients into a fine paste. Save this in a jar & refrigerate for up to 3-5 days/freeze for longer shelf life.
- In a heated non-stick pan with a drizzle of oil/vegan butter, pan-fry tofu, mushrooms until golden brown & season with salt. Remove & set aside.
- To make green curry, sauté 3-4 tablespoons green curry paste with 2 teaspoons oil in a saucepan until fragrant (paste will turn darker green).
- Then, add in veggie stock, ‘fish’ sauce & let simmer for a few minutes. Season with salt or more sauce for a sweeter curry. Stir in coconut milk before serving (more for a creamier curry).
- Turn the heat off, then add in blanched broccoli & mushrooms to warm it up. Serve with lime juice & crushed chili flakes.
If you are using Thai rice sticks, place softened rice sticks in the hot soup right before serving to avoid overcooking it. They tend to get soft really quickly.
Find more of WoonHeng’s recipes on @woon.heng.
If you loved this green curry rice noodle bowl, you might also like…