These teriyaki tofu balls will be a delicious addition to any rice or veggie bowl. Made with simple ingredients, this recipe yields great results.
- 1 pack of 16oz firm tofu, drained well
- ¼ cup chopped celery
- ¼ cup chopped broccoli stem/jicama/water chestnut
- 1 small carrot, chopped
- 2.5 tablespoons starch
- 1–2 teaspoons salt (start with 1 first)
- a pinch of white pepper
- your favorite grain & blanched broccoli
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 1.5 tablespoons organic brown sugar/maple syrup
- ¼ cup hot water
- (adjust sweetness/saltiness to your preference)
- Mash tofu in a bowl, if it’s too wet, use a paper towel to absorb moisture. Add in chopped veggies, starch, salt & white pepper to tofu & mix until well combined. Take about 1 tablespoon of the mixture & mold it into a small ball.
- In a heated non-stick pan, drizzle a thin layer of oil covering the pan & pan-fry tofu balls until golden brown. Drain excess oil on a paper towel, set aside.
- To make the teriyaki sauce, heat 1 teaspoon oil in a pan, sauté ginger & garlic until fragrant. Add in all liquid, syrup/sugar & cook until sauce starts to thicken (you can store this in a jar for later use too). Turn off the heat, toss tofu balls with the sauce. Serve warm with blanched broccoli & rice for a delicious meal.
Find more of WoonHeng’s recipes on @woon.heng.
If you loved these teriyaki tofu balls, you might also like…