These vegan street style hakka noodles are loaded with crunchy veggies and optional flavored tofu slathered in chili garlic Indo Chinese spices.
- 8 oz Gourmet Master Instant Noodles (the package has 6 blocks of noodles, use only 3)
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1 small yellow onion sliced
- 1 medium green pepper sliced
- ¼ medium-sized cabbage sliced/shredded
- 2 cup shredded carrots
- ¼ cup chopped white part of scallions
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 3 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sriracha sauce
- 1 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp black pepper powder
- 2 tsp chaat masala
- ½ chopped serrano/jalapeno
Flavored Tofu (skip this if not adding tofu to your noodles)
- 12 oz extra firm tofu
- 3 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tsp sriracha sauce
- 1 tsp tomato ketchup
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper powder
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- ¼ cup chopped green part of scallions
Prepare Flavored Tofu (Skip this if not adding tofu to your noodles)
- Take the tofu out of the box and wrap it in a couple of paper towels for anywhere from 30-40 minutes. Place a Weight on the wrapped tofu. Your weight should be heavy enough to press down evenly across the top of the tofu, but not so heavy so as to cause the tofu block to crumble.
- Once the extra water is gone from the tofu, cut them in long stripes or cubes and saute them in 3 tbsp of oil on medium heat until they get golden brown and somewhat crispy, tossing and turning them every few minutes. Be careful while tossing and turning so it does not crumble.
- Once tofu stripes/cubes are golden brown on each side, add dark soy sauce, sriracha sauce, rice vinegar, tomato ketchup, salt, and black pepper powder. Mix well and keep it aside.
- Prepare noodles as per package instructions. If using the same brand as I have linked, boil water with 1 tsp of oil and 1 tbsp of oil. Once the water is boiling, add uncooked noodles to the boiling water. Using a fork, slowly loosen up the noodles in the water without breaking them. Cook them in boiling water for 2-3 minutes. Drain it in a strainer and rinse them with cold water to stop the cooking process. Keep them in the strainer and drizzle 1 tbsp of oil to cold cooked noodles to prevent them from sticking with each other. Let the water drain out completely.
- Heat 3 tbsp of oil in a wok or deep wide heavy bottom pan.
- Add minced garlic, grated ginger, chopped white part of green onions, and chopped serrano/jalapeno to the oil
- Saute on medium heat till the raw smell of garlic goes away. Do not burn/brown it.
- Add sliced onions and carrots. Cook them on high heat for a couple of minutes, keeping them crunchy and somewhat charred.
- Add sliced green peppers and cabbage. Cook them on high heat for a couple of minutes, keeping them crunchy and somewhat charred.
- Add dark soy sauce, sriracha sauce, rice vinegar, tomato ketchup, salt, chaat masala, and black pepper powder. Mix well.
- Add cooked noodles and toss them with saucy veggies using a couple of forks.
- Once noodles are all mixed well with the veggies and coated evenly with sauces, take it off the stove.
- Add fresh cilantro, scallions, and prepared tofu (if using any). Toss everything well without making it mushy.
- Serve them hot!
PIN/SAVE/SHARE THIS RECIPE