Food Stories is a new column in which Best of Vegan community members share recipes from their cultures and personal stories connected to those dishes. Today, Blake King of Plant Power Nutrition & Fitness shares his recipe for Vegan Roasted Red Pepper Pasta Bolognese that he has been perfecting ever since he went vegan.
This roasted red pepper pasta is a spinoff of your traditional pasta bolognese which originates from a city just west of Bologna called Imola in the beautiful country of Italy.
Food culture was never something that was considered important to me growing up and to be honest, that’s probably because unfortunately, Australia does not have much history when it comes to cooking. In my opinion, a BBQ doesn’t cut it no matter how hard the good old Australian battler tries to convince me!
It started with spaghetti, tomato sauce and lentils, and it has now evolved into something special that I’m super proud of.
Growing up as a kid I can always remember Wednesday night because it was spaghetti bolognese night. There was always something special about coming home after a long day at school to mum’s homemade pasta bolognese.
When I first went vegan 6 years ago, it was the first recipe I wanted to recreate. It started with spaghetti, tomato sauce and lentils, and it has now evolved into something special that I’m super proud of. It’s a recipe I’ve been continually tampering with over the past several years and now I have it fine-tuned like Lamborghini straight from the showroom floor.
Putting my own touch on the sauce was the final piece of the puzzle I did this by blending roasted red peppers, bolognas sauce, nutritional yeast, basil, lime, and wall nuts this without a doubt gives it a deliciously unique flavor and including textured vegetable protein gives it the traditional bolognese texture.
- 200g Roasted Red Peppers
- 100g TVP (dry)
- 150g Red Lentil Pasta (substitute any type of pasta or spaghetti)
- 60g Baby Spinach
- 10g Walnuts
- 2 Smoked Garlic Cloves (chopped small)
- 15g Basil Leaves
- 2g Nutritional Yeast
- 10ml Lime (fresh, juiced)
- ¼ Cup Bolognese Sauce
- 20ml Water (for sauce)
- 40ml Reserved Pasta Water
- Add the roasted red peppers, basil, walnuts, lime juice, nutritional yeast, 20ml water, and bolognese sauce to a food processor, blending until well combined and smooth.
- Rehydrate the TVP as per package directions.
- Cook the red lentil pasta according to package directions. Make sure you reserve the starchy cooking liquid before draining. Set aside.
- Once the TVP has rehydrated, add it and the smoked garlic to a pan over medium heat and fry for 3-5 minutes.
- Add the red pepper sauce and spinach to the pan and cook until the sauce starts to thin and the spinach wilts down.
- Stir the starchy cooking liquid into the sauce, then add the cooked pasta combining thoroughly.
- Divide between bowls and garnish with fresh basil and a crack of salt and pepper. Enjoy!
Find more of Blake’s recipes at @plantpowernutritionandfitness.
Text, recipe, and photography by Blake King.
Blake King is the creator of Plant Power Nutrition & Fitness. He is a qualified plant-based nutritionist, recipe creator, and personal trainer from Australia. He feels blessed to be able to make a difference by helping people become the happiest, healthiest and best versions of themselves. In doing this, they can aspire to live a healthy, fulfilled life spreading the real meaning of compassion through healthy conscious eating.
PIN/SAVE/SHARE THIS ARTICLE