This Vegan Avocado-Mint Chip Ice Cream recipe is an exclusive from Megan Sadd’s cookbook Vegan YUM: The Secrets to Mastering Plant-Based Cooking. Click here to find out where you can purchase a copy of the book.
Disclaimer: the cookbooks we feature are independently selected by our Best of Vegan editors and are in no way sponsored by the author and/or the publisher. All content is used with permission.
Megan Sadd has spent nearly her entire life studying plant-based cuisine to discover the best, most satisfying and delicious ways of cooking vegan food. In this cookbook, she shares all of her secrets. We’ve got comfort foods―hello Crispy Southern Chickpea Sandwiches and Meat Lover’s BBQ Pulled Jackfruit with Avocado Slaw. We’ve got masterpieces, like Spring Linguine with King Oyster Scallops, where every bite will have you saying, “Yuuumm!” And best of all, a whole chapter is dedicated to Megan’s signature cheeses and meals stuffed with ooey-gooey cheesy goodness. Just wait till you try her Smoky Gouda Melt, Pesto Mac ‘n’ Cheese or Roasted Vegetable Romanesco Lasagna―you’ll think you’ve died and gone to foodie heaven.
Besides a huge variety of weeknight-friendly meals and Megan’s stunning photography with every recipe, each chapter begins with beautiful illustrated reference pages to help you master plant-based cooking. This is more than a great recipe book. It’s an inspiring and instructive ode to flavor that will revolutionize the way you cook.
Mind-blowing ice cream–making tip: Blend creamy things like avocado or pre-soaked cashews with full-fat coconut milk and a can of sweetened condensed coconut milk (found in the baking section of most health food stores) to create simple, delicious, vegan ice cream. Frozen spinach adds a touch of iciness for a spot-on ice cream texture while making the ice cream a beautiful deep shade of green. Did I mention it’s no-churn?
- 4 large ripe avocados, diced
- 1 cup (160 g) raw cashews, soaked for 6+ hours or boiled for 10 minutes
- ½ cup (120 ml) full-fat coconut milk
- 1 cup (240 ml) sweetened condensed coconut milk
- ½ cup (75 g) frozen spinach
- 2 tsp (10 ml) peppermint extract
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) lime juice
- 2 cups (350 g) dark chocolate chips
For Serving (optional)
- Whipped Coconut Cream (page 157)
- Chocolate Shavings
- Combine the avocados, cashews, coconut milk, condensed milk, spinach, peppermint extract and lime juice in a high-speed blender. Blend on high until completely smooth.
- Add the chocolate chips. Blend on low until just incorporated, then transfer to a loaf pan. Cover tightly with cling wrap, pressing the film into the surface of the ice cream to prevent the avocado from oxidizing and changing color.
- Freeze for 5 to 6 hours, then scoop and serve! The ice cream will become very firm after 12 hours in the freezer. If it’s not scoopable, let it thaw on the counter to soften, about 30 minutes. Serve with whipped coconut cream and shaved chocolate (if using)!
For more of a Thin Mint cookie vibe, add ¼ cup (22 g) of cocoa or cacao powder when blending the ice cream, and blend a few crushed vegan chocolate sandwich cookies in with the chocolate chips! You can also add 1 tablespoon (6 g) of matcha powder for a deliciously fancy variation.
Reprinted with permission from Vegan YUM by Megan Sadd, Page Street Publishing Co. 2020. Photo credit: Megan Sadd
(Click on the image above to order your copy)
PIN/SAVE/SHARE THIS RECIPE