This Crunchy Chickpea Waldorf Salad recipe is an exclusive from The Vegan Bean Cookbook: High-Protein, Plant-Based Meals That Are Better for Your Body, Schedule and Budget by Andrea Soranidis. Click here to find out where you can order the book.
Disclaimer: the cookbooks we feature are independently selected by our Best of Vegan editors and are in no way sponsored by the author and/or the publisher. All content is used with permission.Print
This is my vegan take on the classic Waldorf salad! This satisfying evergreen dish truly has it all. It’s crunchy, creamy, and refreshing and has a nice protein boost thanks to the nutritious chickpeas. Best of all, you just need to toss all the ingredients together, making it a super quick and healthy lunch option.
- ½ cup (120 ml) vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 2 large Honeycrisp or Fuji apples, cored and cubed
- 3 celery stalks, cubed
- 1 (15.5-oz [440-g]) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup (80 g) red grapes, halved
- ½ cup (60 g) walnuts, chopped
- ¼ cup (30 g) pecans, chopped
- Sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, lemon juice, and maple syrup until all the ingredients are combined.
- In a large bowl, add in the apples, celery, chickpeas, grapes, walnuts, and pecans. Pour the prepared dressing all over the salad, then toss everything together, season with ¼ teaspoon (or to taste) of sea salt, and add freshly cracked black pepper to taste and serve.
Cooking Tip: Feel free to play with different beans! For this salad, I find that chickpeas and black-eyed peas are my favorite options in terms of flavor and texture.
PIN/SAVE/SHARE THIS RECIPE
Reprinted with permission from The Vegan Bean Cookbook by Andrea Soranidis, Page Street Publishing Co. 2021. Photo credit: Andrea Soranidis
Click here to order your copy.
About the Author
Andrea Soranidis is the founder of the Petite Cook and the author of 20-Minute Italian. She balances her time living between Germany and London.
About the Book
The secret to creating memorable vegan meals that are better for your body, budget and busy schedules? Beans! With 20-Minute Italian author Andrea Soranidis’s easy, cost-effective and filling recipes, you’ll learn to transform the humble bean from a pantry staple to the key to hearty, flavorful meals.
Pump up the protein with lunches like the Next-Level Mushroom Bean Burger, Spring-Perfect Socca Pizza and Smoky and Spicy Chili Sin Carne, which will keep you full and energized all day. Get dinner on the table in minutes with Creamy Edamame Pesto Pasta or Asian-Style Mixed Bean Lettuce Wraps. Indulge in comfort foods like Classic Family Meat(less)loaf, a Sunday Skillet Chickpea Lasagna with Butternut Squash Sauce or Creamy Cannellini Fettuccine Alfredo. Best of all, you won’t taste beans―only deliciousness―in healthier desserts like Banana Bread with a Pulse Twist, Black Bean Chocolate Pudding and PB & Chickpea Chocolate Chip Cookies.
Incredibly accessible, budget-friendly and satisfying, these vegan recipes will change the way you cook with and think about beans in a healthy plant-based lifestyle!
If you loved this Crunchy Chickpea Waldorf Salad, check out more exclusive recipes from The Vegan Bean Cookbook:
Or click here for more vegan chickpea-starring recipes!