This vegan “egg” salad is guaranteed to become your breakfast staple. It’s great on bagels, as sandwich filling, or on its own!
- ¾ cup raw cashews, soaked for at least 2 hours, if you don’t have a high-powered blender soak overnight in the fridge
- 2 14 oz packages firm tofu, pressed for 10–15 min, no more than that. (If you press for too long the tofu will act like a sponge and soak up the mayo/cashew dressing for the salad)
- 3 tbs vegan mayo
- 1 ½ tbs dijon mustard
- 2 tbs fresh lemon juice
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ¾ tsp kala namak black salt (this is super important for an “eggy” taste, you can order online)+ more for serving
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp paprika
- 2 tbs chopped fresh parsley or chives
- more chives for garnish
- Place the soaked cashews and 10 tbs of soaking water in a high-powered blender and blend until smooth, it should take anywhere from 1-5 minutes, make sure you stop the blender from time to time so it doesn’t overheat.
- Add the mayo, dijon mustard, lemon juice, onion powder, kala namak, turmeric, and paprika and blend until combined
- Crumble one block of tofu with your hands into a large bowl and roughly chop the other block of tofu and add it to the bowl. Pour the blender contents over the tofu, stir to combine, throw in fresh parsley, and that’s it! I like to mix in a little kala namak right before eating for extra “eggy-ness”.
Find more of Valerie’s recipes on Vegan Travel Eats.