- 16 oz dried pipe rigate, penne, or other pasta shape of your choice
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (28oz) can whole peeled tomatoes, drained, and rough chopped
- ¼ cup vodka
- ¼ tsp + ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper
- ¼ cup cashews, soaked for 2 hours or overnight
- 4 tbsp water
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 overflowing cup vegan mozzarella shreds (if desired for melting on top, totally not necessary)
- Vegan parmesan
- extra crushed red pepper flakes for serving
- Cook pasta according to package directions in salted water, drain and set aside Turn on oven broiler (if you’re going to melt mozz on top)
- Heat a large oven-proof skillet over medium heat. Add butter then add garlic and sauté for 30 seconds. Stir in tomatoes, vodka, ¼ tsp salt, and crushed red pepper.
- Bring to a boil then lower to a simmer for 5 minutes. Add cashews, water, nutritional yeast, olive oil, tomato mixture from pan, and ½ tsp salt to the blender.
- Blend on high until completely smooth, stopping every once in a while, to remove the top to release steam. Taste for saltiness, add more if needed. P
- our mixture back into the pan and add cooked pasta. Toss to combine.
- This is perfectly delicious like this, but if you want some extra oomph, top with mozzarella, place in the oven under the broiler until the mozzarella melts. 3-4 minutes, keeping a close eye for burning.
- Top with vegan parmesan or extra crushed red pepper flakes for serving (these are both a must in my opinion!).