This recipe is made with Yondu’s organic and vegan umami vegetable seasoning sauce. It’s the perfect add-on to all your savory dishes and you can use it in plant-based recipes instead of fish sauce, broth, miso or even soy sauce. Click here to try it.
Creamy Umami Pasta with Toasted Pine Nuts and Fried Sage – Ready in under 15 minutes!
(yield: 4 servings)
For the pasta:
- 12-14oz egg-free pasta (dry weight)
For the sauce:
- 5oz fresh cauliflower florets (frozen works too)
- 1cup water
- 1 cup pine nuts
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3-4 small sage leaves
- 1-1.5tbsp Yondu umami seasoning sauce*
- 1 garlic clove, sliced
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 2tsp olive oil
- 8-10 sage leaves
- Ground pepper
- Cook the pasta according to package instructions (this should take about 7-11 minutes depending on the type of pasta you’re using.
- Cook the cauliflower in 1 cup of water in a small pot over high heat for 5 minutes or until soft/tender (but don’t overcook).
- Add both the cauliflower and the water you boiled it in to your blender, then add the other sauce ingredients. Blend until you get a smooth consistency. (*note= start with 1 tbsp of Yondu, blend, taste test and then add more Yondu if need be and blend again).
- For the toppings: Heat the oil in a skillet over medium to high heat. Once it’s hot enough, add the pine nuts, garlic and sage leaves. Make sure you move the ingredients around in the pan constantly (using a wooden spoon or spatula) to keep them from burning. Remove from the pan after 1-2 minutes or when the sage is crispy and the pine nuts and garlic are fragrant and slightly browned.
- Mix the sauce with the pasta and serve with the toppings (add a pinch of ground pepper at the very end). Enjoy!
Text & Photography: Kim-Julie Hansen.